Planet Friendly Homes by Carina
Today we hear a lot of talk on TV, magazines, and the internet about green construction. It’s easy to feel “green-washed”, or the feeling that everyone is claiming to be green, but what does that mean? At Carina, we have been building affordable green homes since 2003. We call our homes Planet Friendly for many reasons, but most of all because our homes seek to reduce our personal impact on the planet.
How Are Carina’s Homes Planet Friendly?
- Reduced Energy Consumption – We believe one of the best ways to be green is to reduce the amount of electricity and fossil fuels your home uses.
- Energy Star Standards – All of our homes can be built to meet or exceed Energy Star Standards.
- Insulation and Air Sealing – We take extra measures on our homes to make sure they are well sealed and insulated. Standard features include foam seals around doors, mating walls, sill plates, windows, and electrical outlets. We also offer exterior foam board insulation and spray foam insulation.
- Indoor Air Quality – Hand in hand with tight construction is the need for good indoor air quality. We make sure every home has automatic ventilation, so fresh air can come in and old air be removed and humidity levels stay at proper levels. We also highly encourage the use of Heat Recovery ventilators on every home.
- Recycling of Construction Waste – Both of our modular manufacturers strive to recycle 90% of construction waste. It’s no small task – recycling bins are placed throughout the factory, and everything from cardboard, wire, shingles, drywall, insulation, and wood are recycled.
- Renewable and Sustainable Products – We strive to offer products with recycled content and sustainable sources.
- Small Footprints – We help our customers optimize their designs and achieve all their needs without wasting space.
- Site Positioning – When possible we help our customer site their homes south facing for passive solar gain, design for cross ventilation with window placement, and minimize the amount of disturbed earth.
- Affordable – Green homes should be available to all, that’s why we are proud to build homes that are affordable for most families. Saving energy is also a great way to save money.
How Are Carina’s Homes Energy Star Efficient?
To earn the ENERGY STAR, a home must meet strict guidelines for energy efficiency set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. These homes are at least 15% more energy efficient than homes built to the 2004 International Residential Code (IRC), and include additional energy-saving features that typically make them 20–30% more efficient than standard homes.
Planet Friendly Modular Homes from Carina Construction can meet or exceed all Energy Star Version 3.1 program requirements.
Each Planet Friendly Home from Carina Construction is tested by a NYCERDA approved independent Energy Auditor who inspects and tests each home several times during it’s construction.
- Effective Insulation
Properly installed and inspected insulation in floors, walls, and attics ensures even temperatures throughout the house, reduced energy use, and increased comfort.
- High-Performance Windows
Energy-efficient windows employ advanced technologies, such as protective coatings and improved frames, to help keep heat in during winter and out during summer. These windows also block damaging ultraviolet sunlight that can discolor carpets and furnishings.
- Tight Construction and Ducts
Sealing holes and cracks in the home’s “envelope” and in heating and cooling duct systems helps reduce drafts, moisture, dust, pollen, and noise. A tightly sealed home improves comfort and indoor air quality while reducing utility and maintenance.
- Efficient Heating and Cooling Equipment
In addition to using less energy to operate, energy-efficient heating and cooling systems can be quieter, reduce indoor humidity, and improve the overall comfort of the home. When properly installed into a tightly sealed home, this equipment won’t have to work so hard to heat and cool the home.
- Efficient Products
ENERGY STAR qualified homes may also be equipped with ENERGY STAR qualified products — lighting fixtures, compact fluorescent bulbs, ventilation fans, and appliances, such as refrigerators, dishwashers, and washing machines.
With the help of independent Home Energy Raters, ENERGY STAR builder partners choose the most appropriate energy-saving features for their homes. Additionally, raters conduct onsite testing and inspections to verify the energy efficiency measures, as well as insulation, air tightness, and duct sealing details.
Construction Waste Recycling
Because a Carina Home is built offsite at a factory, our suppliers can easily recycle over 90% of the construction waste. Everything from vinyl, wood, gypsum, wires, cardboard, and roof is collected and recycled. We also collect and recycle cardboard at the project site.